This position will work with children with challenging behaviors or who are in need of Mental Health services and implement the EEC mental health program to achieve a successful mental health environment for children and families served by Head Start.
Specific Job Duties:
- Work in conjunction with Mental Health Coordinator to provide mental health services to children and families while in Head Start program whether it is a referral to mental health professional, working with the family, or classroom management techniques for teachers.
- Function as a resource and/or trainer for classroom staff, center directors, volunteers and has specialized knowledge in services to particular age or ability group (e.g., early childhood, infant, toddler, school age).
- The Mental Health Specialist obtains parental information, makes classroom observations, and communicates with parent/guardian regarding concerns about their child’s mental health.
- Meets with parents who have concerns or questions to discuss and identify appropriate responses to their child’s behaviors.
- Assists parents to better understand mental health issues by participating in trainings and workshops on understanding children’s behavior and related problems.
- Provides intervention in the form of direct services and mentoring to support behavioral management services for those children experiencing functional difficulties.
- Receives referrals from all service areas on an ongoing basis. Reviews the Ages and Stages/Social Emotional Questionnaire and Developmental History from that is completed at intake by the parent and follows up with parents and staff when indicated. Schedules observations and leads an Interdisciplinary Review Team (IRT) when the referral is received internally from staff.
- Networks and coordinates with community agencies to provide quality services and promote the mental and social well-being in children, and address behavioral concerns when needed, Agencies may include: Life Management, and Children’s Home Society.
Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field and at least two years experience working with children and families.
Applicant must pass criminal background check and urinalysis drug screening.
A pre-employment physical and TB tine screening is required.
This is a 12 month position. Salary range is $11.15-$15.00 depending on a combination of education and experience,
Early Education and Care, Inc. offers an attractive benefits package (Health, Dental and Life insurance, PTO, Vacation pay, etc. )
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply at Early Education and Care, Inc. 450 Jenks Avenue, Panama City, FL 32401 or fax resume to: (850) 769-1066
EOE M/F/V/D Drug Free
We will continue to accept applications until position is filled.